Get Jiggy With It, It’s the 90s !

Moreeeee research ahhhh ! Today I was able to discuss with my partner, Rachel,
what I thought the content and plot of our film opening should be, I had a concept
that I presented Rachel with and she seems to be onboard with it, we’re still
deciding the specifics but as of right now we are set on a 90s summer romance film;
there will hopefully be a storyboard going up soon once we solidify our ideas. I thought
that for this blog post I would share everything I have compiled in my research about the
great 1990s.
Let me set the scene, America 1995, O.J. Simpson is on trial, gas prices are at a whopping
$1.05 per gallon, a stamp is 32 cents, The New York Times and Washington Post have
published the Unabomber's manifesto. Obviously all of this is very relevant to the time and
we may even allude to some of these events and facts in our opening to establish time, but for
this posting I’d like to focus more on the styles of the era. I L O V E 90s fashion, the colors,
the accessories, the cuts and patterns; I don’t know how else to describe it other than, visually
loud. This era was met with some different genres of looks, grunge, preppy, punk, and hip hop,
to name a few, and while each style has its own unique elements and flair, for the purposes of
this project we will probably lean more towards grunge and preppy.
I’m going to separate different aspects of style into a few different categories to make all of this
easier to navigate.
Colors and Patterns:
Because of the rise in popularity of grunge culture, by the mid 90s darker colors such as black, maroon,
indigo, brown, greys, dark green started to gain traction but there was still a good amount of yellows,
blues, pinks, greens, reds, and oranges from all of those who were not into the grunge scene. For our
film opening I’d like to incorporate bright colors for our protagonist to make her stand out and have
darker hues for any of the other characters. Some patterns that were very popular at this time were:
stripes (horizontal and vertical), flannel, animal print, and camo. I definitely see us using some flannel
pieces for another character. I’m attaching some images of pieces I already own that I’ll either be using
or drawing inspiration from.










Clothing:
Denim on denim. Denim jackets, ripped denim jeans, denim overalls with one strap unclipped
of course. Denim was definitely a staple fabric of the 90s. Other clothing items included neon
windbreakers, crop tops, and baggy track pants.












Accessories:
Accessories were a huge part of 90s fashion. Some of my personal favorites are mood
rings, bucket hats, hoop earring, Jansport backpacks, and of course Discmans and pagers.
Some of my favorite staple 90s shoes are Doc Martens and Birkenstocks


-andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

adieu

TDDUP has officially come to a close! How bittersweet; this project means so much to me and I am happy that this is how I will be closing ou...