FILMING DAY 2

     On Tuesday after going to vote (yay civic duties !!!) and after printing out my fancy Canva made cake recipe, I packed up all of my props, costumes, and supplies and headed over to my dad’s house, which is where the rest of this short film is being filmed, and got to shooting. It was an incredibly long and exhausting day of filming, I didn’t get back home until around 10:30 pm! But, an overall successful day.



     I decided last minute to change the Jael costumes from pants and a blouse to two different dresses. For Jael A.D. she is in a white dress and cardigan and for Jael B.D. she is in a black dress.

 

     I began by clearing out the kitchen; I took everything off the counters, I emptied some of the cabinets, my goal was to make it look cold and uninviting. Originally, the concept of clearing out my dad’s kitchen did not seem at all daunting, he spends most of his time traveling so there’s not usually much in the kitchen to begin with, but with this COVID-19 pandemic happening he is not travelling at all and actually using his kitchen and filling my set can you believe the nerve of this guy, HAHA! After I finished clearing the kitchen I set up my camera to a wide angle shot, I decided I would begin by filming all the wide angle shots first since most of these scenes are composed of wide angle shots and it would be easier on me to keep the same angle for an extended amount of time instead of trying to replicate the same shot each time I move the camera.

     In one of the shots I cut up an apple so I took a bit of a snack break after that to regroup and figure out how I would organize the rest of the shots considering costume changes and such. I realized you learn a lot about someone from their kitchen for instance, while i was raiding my father’s kitchen for my snack break I learned that my own father is a chunky peanut butter kind of man, as a smooth peanut butter connoisseur myself this was incredibly disheartening and eye-opening but I managed to find it in me to forgive him for his nut butter choices because he brought me mango and piña with chile late at night after hours of filming so all was well and balance was restored.



     Filming the parts where Jael pours poison into the cake components was quite possibly the most stressful part of the night. My poison was a bit of water mixed with green food coloring in a tiny mason jar. I apologize to my dad for any dish towels that are now permanently green because that sucker got EVERYWHERE, especially all over my hands. I really hope it’s not visible on camera and it doesn’t look like I’m transforming into an ogre or something.



     Definitely the most intimidating part of the night was when I had to refrost a cake. When I went to my local Publix, now ravaged by pandemic, they didn’t have another vanilla cake with vanilla frosting, but I had close to a thousand tubs of canned vanilla frosting at home from my cake baking fiasco last week so I made the decision to get a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting and strip the cake of its chocolatey coat and give it a new vanilla suit. This ended up going honestly much better than I had anticipated and I ate SO MUCH chocolate frosting it was gross. In the end it all worked out and now I get to review the footage, I already know I am missing some shots that I’ll have to return for, but I was so exhausted from filming that I called it a day and headed back home.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

adieu

TDDUP has officially come to a close! How bittersweet; this project means so much to me and I am happy that this is how I will be closing ou...