Group Meeting #1

     The internet went out at my school today so obviously it was a very difficult day for all of us, the horror ! Haha anyways, because we were unable to use the computers to work on our projects in class individually, we had a group meeting, socratic seminar style, in which we shared our ideas for our portfolio project as well as our trials and tribulations so that we could get feedback and advice from our classmates and instructor. I was nervous to share my idea in front of my peers as I had come up with it the day before and the only person I had shared it with was my mom and she’s almost required to support my ideas. I was the last to speak during today’s meeting which was extra pressure since everyone before me had such interesting ideas but, I shared my short film and it was pretty well received, my classmates liked the idea and gave me some really good input.

     A few people reminded me of stories that I could use as inspiration such as the cutting of Solomon’s hair which is about betrayal and the Greek myth of Prometheus who was brutally punished for bringing fire to humans, this story was brought up because it has to do with negative consequences for something arguably moral which is a theme I want to touch upon in my piece. The story of Prometheus led me to remember the myth of Tantalus who killed his son and fed the flesh to the gods, Tantalus was punished in Tartarus to live eternity in a waist deep pool of water under the dangling branch of fruit tree cursed to forever have food and drink right out of reach, I think I may do something with this for instance, have my main character yearn for some other food but be forced to only eat the cake and make it exactly the same way it was the night of the murder.

     The biggest obstacles I had in my story and the questions I brought to my peers was whether or not I should show my character being tried and questioned in purgatory and/or show the murder of her boyfriend, since originally I had just imagined her making the cake and eating it. My teacher was very concerned with how my depiction of purgatory may come off as cheesy and not read well. Her suggestion was that I turn my piece into a comedy which was difficult for me to picture since I had imagined it as a dramatic piece but, after some consideration and suggestions of how I could present it comedically I have decided to take her advice and try my hand at something funny. The idea is quite daunting to me which is ironic but comedy is so subjective I already know I’m going to have to show my work to many many people to get their opinion of whether or not it would translate well. But, as of right now my head is in a NBC’s The Good Place sort of mindset so we’ll see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

adieu

TDDUP has officially come to a close! How bittersweet; this project means so much to me and I am happy that this is how I will be closing ou...