Funny How Quentin Tarantino Has Been Real Quiet Since I Dropped This Idea.


     Hello friends and Cambridge grading fiends, at the beginning of this week I met briefly with my Media Studies teacher to discuss my project and gauge where I was at; we quickly arrived to the fact that I had to decide what I wanted to do for this endeavour so that I could truly get the gears going. So, today I bring you the pitch (as promised by my week one schedule) !

     Allow me to set the scene, I was sitting in my econ class just absolutely completely immersed in the world of income taxes, when I thought of how much I wished I was watching Tik Toks. Tik Tok is a Chinese owned video sharing social media platform and I will openly admit that I am entirely addicted to it; I genuinely spend an unhealthy amount of time scrolling through these silly videos and one of my favorite genres of videos to see pop up on my feed are those in which people bake and decorate extravagant multi-layered cakes. This guilty pleasure has led to the conclusion that I too need to create my own multilevel delicacy. So, as I sat in my econ class I tried to think of how I could bake a giant cake in my short film and it somehow led me to Hell. 

(@jillsejd on Tik Tok is my favorite to watch)

     I came up with the idea of a woman who bakes a cake to kill her boyfriend. I knew I didn’t want to enable the women are psychopaths narrative that is seen in many relationship tropes in the media so I decided that the woman should have a solid motive, the boyfriend was abusive to her. From there I still didn’t think I had a full fledged story so I continued playing around with the plot. What I came up with finally was: the story of a religious woman of the biblical branches who has ended up in purgatory after death for the murder of her abusive boyfriend, as her punishment she is forced to bake and then eat by herself the cake she used to kill him for the rest of eternity.

     My teacher told us to write what we know and I will admit I have never personally been to Hell but, I did grow up very very Catholic so I think it will be interesting to dive back into the bible and its teachings to help me take inspiration for this piece. For instance, I know I want to look for stories in the bible where women have killed their husbands and I think I would name my main character after one of those women. I want to touch upon the fifth commandment (thou shall not kill) and really get into the ideologies of what should and shouldn’t be punishable based on circumstances according to the Catholic belief.

     Now that I have my plot I am so excited to get working !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

adieu

TDDUP has officially come to a close! How bittersweet; this project means so much to me and I am happy that this is how I will be closing ou...