Day 1 Shoot Prep: Making the First Full Cake

     Wow! Today’s prep went so well check out the masterpiece of a cake I made!!

                            Image result for cake boss with cake

     Just kidding :( unfortunately today I’ve run into my first big obstacle. My day started off early, I went to the grocery store to restock on baking supplies and by 11am I was well into cooking my cake. Everything was looking great; I had four circular cakes and four jars of filling.



     As my contents cooled I began making my frosting; I tried out a new recipe as well as the one I’d made before. Both of them came out too liquidy. Regardless I slapped the cake with frosting, shoved it in the fridge, and prayed.



     The cake was looking terrible and the top layer had ripped down the center. I rushed to the store for some premade frosting and a serrated bread knife. I tried to salvage the cake by shaving off the perimeter and crumb coating with the store bought frosting. Then I chucked it in the fridge, things were starting to look up. I checked on my cake a few minutes later and it had fallen apart, everything was sliding everywhere, and there was a giant sticky sweet mess! Thus, was born the slop trough which is where failed cakes go to die (and become cake pops) sort of ironic I guess.

















(<-before)
(after->)


    
(the slop trough)


     I was upset, but after consulting my mother we came to the conclusion that the cake would have to be store bought. It almost brought me to tears! I rushed to the grocery store for the third time today and got myself a $10 frozen cake from the bakery. It felt like admitting the ultimate defeat, but alas, I had no other choice, I need to film tomorrow.



     The cake I got is a lot smaller and obviously doesn’t have the elements I wanted but it will have to do. As my little foreign mother put it, “is a prop for your video,” that really spoke volumes to me today haha! In complete seriousness they were exactly the words of encouragement I needed.



     Looking back at the day’s events I can’t help but laugh. I felt like one of those contestants on a baking show where everything that can go wrong does. The dramatics sure were high today and I probably would've been eliminated had this been a baking show. Lucky for me there was no elimination at the end of the day and I can carry on tomorrow with a fresh mind for filming. I just hope that the little store bought cake will read well on camera. But, I mean I’m sure it’ll read better than the monster I made today (which has now been repurposed into cake pops).

No comments:

Post a Comment

adieu

TDDUP has officially come to a close! How bittersweet; this project means so much to me and I am happy that this is how I will be closing ou...